We offer an innovative school-centred programme designed by national and local experts.
Following our two-day induction conference, you will be immersed in classroom practice from the beginning of term. Weekly centre-based training is complemented by expert mentoring to ensure that you are well-supported to develop into a reflective practitioner who can make a difference.
You will build your knowledge and skills with two contrasting school placements. The first placement runs from September to December, and the second from January to June. Four weeks of Intensive Training and Practice (ITAP) will enable you to focus on daily practices that are key to promoting students’ learning, particularly those elements that, historically, trainees do not find as easy to implement in their practice.
All our initial teacher training courses lead to QTS (Qualified Teacher Status), a PGCE (Post Graduate Certificate in Education)* and 60 Master’s Level credits.
- Research-informed: Our curriculum is underpinned by the best available evidence, including the Model for Great Teaching (Great Teaching Toolkit Evidence Review) - the things teachers know, do and believe that research has shown to make the biggest difference to student learning.
- Theory into practice: Key learning will take place on a Monday at centre-based training, and you will then apply it in school throughout the week with support from your mentor.
- Integrated spiral curriculum: Our curriculum places the developing competence of trainees at its heart, reinforcing prior learning and offering multiple opportunities for you to refine and embed your practice.
- Practical: You will spend 39 weeks in a placement school immersed in professional learning and teaching practice.
- Fully supported: You will work closely with your phase mentor (primary) or subject mentor (secondary) – an experienced teacher with extensive knowledge and expertise in their phase/subject - to develop the skills required to help you become an inspirational teacher.
* In exceptional cases, for example where a trainee already has a PGCE, we offer the QTS-only route.